? Adding epsom salt to baths can help with inflammation, sore muscles, draw out toxins from your body, and lower stress. Epsom salts are also one of the best things to use when adding essential oils to your bath water for an added relaxation boost. Since oils and water don’t mix, the Epsom salt helps hold onto the essential oil when adding it to your bath water.
Find Epsom Salt at Amazon, Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, drug stores. Make sure you buy a plain, unscented version. Then you can customize the scent with our pure therapeutic grade essential oils instead of the store’s synthetic fragrances.
Classic Version: Epsom salt + essential oil
I typically add Lavender and another calming oil (Frankincense, Cedarwood, Balance, Serenity) to the Epsom salt. When I have empties of calming oils, I pull them apart and add them to the epsom salt to soak up the last bit of oil!
For how many drops of essential oil to add to the Epsom salt, I usually guesstimate and smell, but in general 5 drops per 2 cups of epsom salt is a good rule of thumb.
How to use:
- We use it every night in Brock’s bath ~ 1/4 cup for him when he was an infant (it helped a ton while he was teething!). Yes we did this when he was an infant (we’ve been using essential oils on him since birth), yes he sometimes drinks bath water, yes that’s ok. We bumped it up to 1/2 cup as he’s gotten older
- I use it in my baths also. I’ll sometimes put some of the salts in a different mason jar and add in a couple extra drops of AromaTouch or Sandalwood for more muscles support and relaxation. I add ~ 1 cup to my bath
Some of my favorite oils to add to baths for kiddos are:
- For calming, relaxing, and teething: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Copaiba, Cedarwood, Balance, Serenity
- For immune & respiratory boost: Frankincense, Lavender, Cardamom, Copaiba
- For skin concerns: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Tea Tree, you could even add in a little bit of baking soda to soothe skin irritations, hives, rashes
- For teething: Copaiba, Frankincense, Roman Chamomile, Lavender
Supercharged Detox Bath Salts for Adults (not babies)
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 8-10 drops essential oil – I love AromaTouch + Hawaiian Sandalwood, or Adaptiv + Copaiba
Combine everything together in a glass jar, I like using mason jars. Use ~1/2 – 1 cup of the mixture, depending on size of bath. Be sure to bring a glass of water with you to drink during the bath so you don’t feel dehydrated after.
Benefits of the Detox Bath:
- The pink Himalayan salt helps detox your body and energy field – releasing toxins and negative energy into your bath water
- The baking soda is an added detox boost. It also helps with skin issues, urogenital health, purifying your body and an immunity boost