Getting a great night’s sleep falls into our wellness pyramid section of rest and manage stress. Allowing our bodies and minds to rest and recuperate at night is just as important as eating healthy and exercising. Sleep deprivation has been linked to a number of health risks that can impact the body, beyond just feeling tired and sluggish.
Classes happen every Tuesday night at 8pm CST, live on Facebook and Instagram, then uploaded to my YouTube Channel on Wednesday along with the class notes on the blog.
Inadequate sleep can impact our ability to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Loss of sleep can also influence our emotions, behavior, and decision-making abilities. Sleep deprivation can also influence learning ability and motivation, making it difficult to complete tasks or learn properly.
While you are asleep:
- Processes information, stimuli, and memories
- Sorts through information and gets rid of waste
- Undergoes processes essential for learning and memory
- Rejuvenates the body’s cells
- Rest and recuperates through relaxing muscles and slowing the breathing
- Undergoes processes essential for growth and regulating hormones
Core Oils for Sleep:
Lavender (or Petitgrain) or Wild Orange (click here to learn why Lavender might not work for you), Cedarwood, Copaiba, Marjoram, Serenity, Roman Chamomile, Vetiver
Scroll down to find additional for more specific conditions and concerns.
Bookend your day with an evening habit ritual
Not sure what that means? Check out my habits class and download your Lifestyle Shift Guide to start shifting your habits to create a life you love, which includes great sleep, right? Things to incorporate in your evening routine:
- Take an Epsom salt bath with essential oils
- Use a linen mist on your pillows and bedding
- Relax with a heating pad or warm neck wrap
- Relaxing foot massage
- Take a hot shower
- Have a hot cup of Roman Chamomile tea
Create a Bedtime Routine
- Inhale: inhaling an essential oil can induce a response within the body for relaxation
- Sleep: this internal response can encourage a restful night of sleep
- Positive Association: after a restful night of sleep, the aroma has now created a positive association within the brain
- Repeat: positive association promotes further use of this particular oil as part of a healthy sleep routine
Additional Essential Oils for Specific Conditions or Concerns
- Low melatonin levels, irregular sleep cycles (REM): Black Pepper, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Ginger, InTune, Lime, Myrrh, Rosemary (use during the day), Sandalwood, Serenity, Tangerine, Ylang Ylang, Vetiver
- Mental chatter/over-thinking: Balance, Basil, Cedarwood, Copaiba, Rosemary, Purify, Serenity
- Nervous Tension: Adaptiv, AromaTouch, Balance, Basil, Bergamot, Citrus Bliss, Douglas Fir, Geranium, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Melissa, PastTense, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Serenity, Vetiver, Wild Orange, Ylang Ylang
- Night Sweats: ClaryCalm, DDR Prime, Douglas Fir, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lime, Peppermint, Whisper, Zendocrine
- Nightmares: Balance, Cinnamon Bark, Clary Sage, cypress, eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Melissa, Neroli, Roman Chamomile, Serenity, Siberian Fir, Wild Orange, Vetiver
- Restless Legs: AromaTouch, Basil, Cypress, Deep Blue, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Lavender, Neroli, PastTense, Patchouli, Peppermint, Roman Chamomile, Serenity, Spearmint, Wintergreen
- Restlessness: AromaTouch, Balance, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Cedarwood, Elevation, Frankincense, Lavender, Neroli, PastTense, Patchouli, Roman Chamomile, Serenity, Tangerine, Vetiver, Wild Orange, Yarow
- Sleeplessness: Balance, Basil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Console, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Magnolia, Patchouli, Peace, Petitgrain, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood, Serenity, Vetiver, Wild Orange.
- Snoring: Breathe, Douglas Fir, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Patchouli, Peppermint, Purify, Rosemary
- Stress: Adaptiv, Citrus Bliss, Clary Sage, Elevation, Frankincense, Lavender, Lime, Serenity, Vetiver, Wild Orange
- Tranquility: Cinnamon Bark, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Melissa, Neroli, PastTense, Roman Chamomile