I’m currently on my second oily pregnancy – I’ve had the privilege of using essential oils used before, during and after both of my pregnancies!
I share some of the things that helped support my pregnancies during labor & delivery! I’m not a medical professional, just sharing my experiences and best practices, so be sure to talk with your doctor or midwife if you’re unsure about something!
Hey Mama! Sign up to receive your Free Pregnancy Affirmations printable and phone wallpapers to use throughout your pregnancy and postpartum journey.[mailpoet_form id=”6″]
Links to other trimesters and pregnancy topics below!
Woohoo! You made it – labor and delivery! Crazy to think that it’s been about 9 months of growing a tiny human that all lead up to this one big event!
First things first, set up your diffuser! Check your hospital’s policy, my hospital said that as long as they don’t “see” it it’s ok and they don’t “see” things in the bathroom.. Here are some of my favorite diffuser blends for the hospital! If you truly cannot have a diffuser set up, put a drop of each oil in to the palms of your hand and inhale or add a couple drops to a washcloth or the pillowcase to smell during labor
- Peppermint & Wild Orange: relax, focus, energize and push
- Wild Orange & Balance or Adaptiv: uplift mood, tranquil space, labor support
- Balance & Serenity: calming & relaxing
Oils & Blends for Labor:
- Frankincense Touch: apply to areas of tension, use for focus, apply on top of baby’s head and spine for protection and bonding, supports circulation and oxygen transfer in the cells⠀
- Neroli & Rose Touch: apply to pulse points and over heart to relax and ease anxious feelings⠀
- Deep Blue oil or rub: apply to your back, legs or any other muscles and joints that are feeling tense or overused during labor
- Labor Support: 5 Ylang Ylang, 5 Clary Sage, 5 Copaiba, 5 Black Pepper, 4 Helichrysum, 3 Marjoram, 3 Peppermint; combine in a 10 mL roller bottle and top off with FCO, massage into low back and feet as often as needed during early or active labor
- Back Labor: 20 Black Pepper, 10 AromaTouch, 10 Siberian Fir, 10 Copaiba; combine in a 10 mL roller bottle and top off with FCO, massage on lower back frequently
After the Baby!
- Going to the bathroom: put a drop of Peppermint in toilet to help you go, take DigestZen, TerraZyme and and PB Assist to help with bowel movements and gas
- Cracked Sore Nipples: Helichrysum, Correct X; Boobease Nipple Balm is my favorite if you’re looking for one!
- Peri Care: after going to the bathroom rinse with the best peri spray bottle ever! Then spray on one of the peri spray blends:
- Peri Spray Blend #1: combine 30 drops of Immortelle, 10 Copaiba, 10 Yarrow|Pom to a 15mL spray bottle, top off with alcohol free witch hazel or FCO
- Peri Spray Blend #2: combine 10 drops each Yarrow|Pom, Copaiba, Sandalwood, Helichrysum, Frankincense and Myrrh to a 15mL spray bottle, top off with alcohol free witch hazel or FCO
- C-Section Mamas: roll Immortelle near incision (wait to apply it directly to the incision until after you are cleared by your doctor to take a bath)
- Frankincense Touch: apply on top of baby’s head and spine for protection and bonding, supports circulation and oxygen transfer in the cells⠀
- ClaryCalm: after birth pain, support your uterus & discomfort you might be feeling, apply to lower abdomen, use just before nursing
- After Birth blend: 10 ClaryCalm, 8 Siberian Fir, 8 Copaiba, 5 Lavender; combine in a 10 mL roller bottle and top off with FCO, apply to lower abdomen to support uterus, apply just before nursing
- Fluid Retention blend: 4 drops each Lemon, Grapefruit, AromaTouch, Cypress, lavender, ginger, combine in 10mL roller bottle and top off with FCO, apply as needed; use caution with citrus oils and the sun (omit citrus oils for topical use if necessary)