This was SO easy to throw together, and only used 3-4 ingredients + essential oils.
Traditional Play-Doh has gluten in it and all sorts of food dyes. I’m GF, so touching play-doh isn’t a good idea for me so it’s easier to go with a GF option for us to play with. Not to mention we don’t even have traditional flour in the house! Traditional food coloring (what’s found in play-doh) like Red 40 and Yellow 5, can have negative side effects on your health and that’s something we do our best to avoid
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup corn starch (arrowroot powder would also work)
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 drops vegetable glycerin (optional – helps keep dough from sticking to the table)
- 5-10 drops essential oil, I like using Balance!
- Optional natural food coloring like this one or you could use mica powder as another natural option
- Add baking soda, corn starch, water to saucepan & stir to combine
- Place over medium heat, stir constantly as dough begins to form
- When it starts to come together as a dough, add 5 drops of vegetable glycerin
- Once the dough starts to ball around the spoon, remove from the saucepan to cool
- Once cool add 5-10 drops essential oil and knead together. Alternatively you could roll the kids blend Steady onto your hands and knead in. Add in optional coloring at this point too
Store in air tight container in the fridge.
??I want to know, what oils would you add to the play dough?!